Thursday, December 06, 2007

How I Spent 07/07/07

On July 6, 2007, Doug and I checked into our hotel in Sault Ste Marie. The next five days were totally unscheduled. We were going to relax and have fun, and rest when we were tired. Apparently, that concept was too much for Doug's immune system to handle.

On the morning of Saturday, July 7 -- the most numerically propitious day of the millennium -- he woke up feeling sick. Less than an hour later, he said he wanted an ambulance. The paramedics took him to the Sault Area hospital ER, where he was diagnosed with pneumonia. He was treated with IV antibiotics and released the following Wednesday, just in time to drive home the next day.
There is much to be grateful for. The paramedics arrived in about 10 minutes, and it took only another 10 minutes to get him to the hospital. Doug's chest pain was from his lungs, not his heart. We were in a fair-sized city, not in an isolated motel in Northern Quebec. I was able to find the medications which were not available in the hospital pharmacy. Doug responded to the antibiotics, and looked healthier each time I visited him. I knew exactly where my husband was at all times (he was in isolation, so he couldn't even roam the halls). I had a nice place to stay. The library provided free Internet access. I even did a bit of shopping.

I think Sault Ste Marie would be a nice place to retire. It's not too big, has a waterfront walk and a delightful article, and lots of cultural activities. Family doctors are not that easy to find there, but at least we know our way around the hospital.

No comments: